2/27/09

So many songs, so little time

dali

(And it’s time, time, time…)

Caught between work, the bar and bed, I realize time, this moment, is not a friend. You know how certain people are always waiting for you to fuck up. That’s time, when you’re not very careful: Not so much a fuck buddy as Buddy Holly’s last airplane ride.

Anyway, let’s talk time - and let’s start with Leonard again:

“It’s four in the morning, the end of december
I’m writing you now just to see if you’re better
New York is cold, but I like where I’m living
There’s music on Clinton Street all through the evening.

I hear that you’re building your little house deep in the desert
You’re living for nothing now, I hope you’re keeping some kind of record.”

Or, you can say, like Bowie, that

“Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette
The wall-to-wall is calling, it lingers, then you forget”

Still, maybe it is better to go with Jim Groce’s

“If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
Till eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you”

… but only if sung by Kermit and Co:


2 comments:

  1. 'Got The Time' by Joe Jackson
    (as covered by Anthrax)

    If I, tell ya what I'm doing today
    Will you, shut up and get out of my way
    Someone ask me what the time is, I dont know
    Only know I gotta go now
    No time, tryin' to get a watch repaired
    No time, never got a thing to wear
    Little ringin on the telephone
    Oh no, hear a ringin in my head now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. (Especially the line with the watch - with my opening shot of one of Dali's paintings and all.)
    J.

    ReplyDelete