2/18/09

Poetry no no?

I checked out this fairly new website originalpoetry.com and I'm a bit confused by the what not to do tips.
It said:
4. Avoid Sentimentality
Sentimentality is "dominated by a blunt appeal to the emotions of pity and love...Popular subjects are puppies, grandparents, and young lovers" (Minot 416). "When readers have the feeling that emotions like rage or indignation have been pushed artificially for their own sake, they will not take the poem seriously" (132).

Minot says that the problem with sentimentality is that it detracts from the literary quality of your work (416). If your poetry is mushy or teary-eyed, your readers may openly rebel against your effort to invoke emotional response in them. If that happens, they will stop thinking about the issues you want to raise, and will instead spend their energy trying to control their own gag reflex.

So one question is who the heck is Minot and what do I care what he says?
I know I disagree with that statement. If poetry doesn't invoke emotion, I'm gonna snore. It's the poetry that has brought tears to my eyes and I weep, "that' just beautiful." Anything else is dribble unless of course it's funny as hell, but then that too would be invoking the humorous emotion.

What am I not getting with this tip of avoiding sentimentally?

3 comments:

  1. Don't avoid it, embrace it!! I want to be affected by what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honk said it for me- I love a good emotional poem. Maybe this person means to search deep inside and drag forth a message other than what is felt on the surface. Poetry should show not tell...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poetry without sentiment, or passion, is commonly referred to as "grocery list." It might get you something, but when you are done with it, you throw it away.

    ReplyDelete