2/10/09

So many songs, so many words: So, what do YOU think is the best pop lyric line ever…?

72

(Shall I compare thee to the food of life? Play on…)



Okay, this is one of those posts where I mostly shut up - but I was reading a newspaper column that sang the virtues of certain pop lyrics, so I thought, alright, but what would a top ten of pop lyric one (or two) liners look like?

To be honest, I immediately had my number one but then I thought it wouldn’t hurt to draw things out a bit.

So, before I leave you with my number one, I’ll give you five other great lines:

1)“There is a crack in everything, That’s how the light gets in”

2)“And I never buy umbrellas, For there’s always one around”

3) “Got some whisky from the barman, Got some cocaine from a friend”

4) “They paved paradise, And put up a parking lot”

5) “The captain is a one-armed dwarf, He’s throwing dice along the wharf

Good lines all but this one truly can’t be beat:

“I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die”

Which, obviously, leaves me with this one question to you: What would feature in YOUR top ten of pop one-liners?

2 comments:

  1. "In and around the lake,
    Mountains come out of the sky
    and they stand there." -Yes

    "I need your love,
    Like a flame needs a fire." -Debbie Gibson

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end."-Mary Hopkin

    "Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?"-Lonnie Donegan - not pop but it popped into my mind ha ha.

    ReplyDelete