2/6/09

The genius and passion of Jacques Brel (Three songs)

jacques-brel

Okay, it’s a lazy Friday afternoon where I’m typing this. Half past lunch or thereabouts and I can’t be bothered to even take a look at the world’s various newspapers that are perching on my toolbar like a chorus line of digital vultures.

Anyway, much earlier, around Cinderella time, I read a very nice article about Jacques Brel, the late but brilliant Belgian singer. Officially, I suppose I should call him a chansonnier but that just wouldn’t feel right. His voice was too raw for that, as were his lyrics, his presentation, his naked hunger and his incredible passion for life.

Where other chansonniers did polite still life portraits, Brel worked his canvases like a loud and sweaty, almost demented Pablo Picasso.

Anyway, here’s a bit from that article but you should read the whole thing yourself, when you’re done with reading this column:

“Jacques Brel’s sturdy baritone is technically ordinary but emotionally compelling, and the songs tend to zip along, propelled by flailing arms and guttural exclamations. Watching him sing is a physical, visceral experience. Or, as Gavin Friday, the Irish singer and ex-Virgin Prune who has recorded several of Brel’s songs says: “Brel is sweaty. You can imagine him spitting on you if you’re in the front row.” True, language may be a barrier, but Friday has an answer: “It’s like a painting, isn’t it? I might not understand everything literally, but I have the gist of it.” In other words, with Brel you either trust your French or you trust your gut. Either way, the effort is richly rewarded.

I would agree - and you can always consult one of the many translations of his songs. There are more than enough internet sites that provide them, even though they tend to be very mundane and, sometimes, God awful. Still, if you have no or little French, they will be of some help. However, that’s completely up to you, of course.

Obviously, when I was done reading the article myself, I immediately went to YouTube, to watch a few old Brel songs. So, I will now - finally - shut up and leave you with three of my favourite Jacques Brel songs:

1) Ne me quitte pas

2) Amsterdam

3) Quand on n’a que l’amour

(English translation of ‘Quand on n’a que l’amour’ HERE)

brels-grave

(Brel’s grave on Hiva Oa, in the South Pacific)

No comments:

Post a Comment