2/7/09

Molecules

Quite awhile ago I read an article in the newspaper under the caption, "Strange but True." It talked about how some molecules have been around since near the beginning of time and they actually cycle through all of us at a very fast rate. When we breathe we expel air molecules that were just moments before apart of us.

A physicist, Paul Hewitt has said, they have calculated that it takes about six years for one of our breaths to scatter throughout the Earth's atmosphere and as it scatter's it ends up in many different places in the world. Part of our breath is mixed with other "stuff" but will actually be a breath of air for someone in the future. With this in mind that means we are actually breathing molecules from people of the past.

I prefer to think of past scholars and heroines as opposed to less favorable in character. I find this information to be fascinating and if I had my life to live over, I would breathe deeply and savor each breath.

2 comments:

  1. We are breathing life into the future. Parts of us will live for ever in a physical nature, in some form or fashion. We are of this earth and we will one day return just as we came. You got me thinking. Thanks, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your brain. Nice to see you.

    ReplyDelete