1/27/09

Don't Confuse Me With the Facts: The challenge facing professional victims in an Obama administration

With Barack Obama nearing the end of his first week in the Oval Office, I’m tempted to ask what the professional victims are going to do now.

And I’m going to give in to temptation. What are the professional victims going to do now? For as long as many of us can remember, the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have talked about how racist America is. Blacks can’t get ahead. We need affirmative action, quotas, and other such measures to make sure The Man can’t hold blacks down. We’re still mea culpa-ing our way out of slavery, an institution which is 140+ years dead. There are no more blacks-only water fountains, restrooms, or schools.

Still the professional victims point out how there aren’t enough black CEOs, doctors, military officers, elected officials…take your pick. And Barack Obama comes along and shatters that all to pieces. A black man has been elected to the highest office in the land.

So I pose this question to the Sharptons and Jacksons of the world: Now what? Will you pipe down? What sort of arguments can you make now that a black man is in the White House? What “glass ceiling” can you talk about? How is it possible that America is so cripplingly racist when Obama is President?

I have a feeling, though, that even in the face of what should be a tremendous victory for them, the professional victims won’t pipe down. If they do that, they’ll be out of a job. So they’ll continue to carp, because it’s not really about racism. It’s about them and their phony-baloney jobs.

But they should take heart. If people stop listening to this crowd, I'm quite certain Obama will use my money to give them a bailout.

12 comments:

  1. It is easy enough to tell that you are an educated person, so this foolish post, like others that I have read, cannot be blamed on ignorance, it has to be laid, ironically enough, at the doorstep of your acidic racism. What a said waste of an intellect, not to mention valuable oxygen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky,

    Questioning Jackson and Sharpton is not racism. These guys have spent years feathering their own nests in the name of the black community. Why do you think Jackson was caught on tape saying what he was going to do to Obama. Both of these men realize that a black President weakens their position and stature on the national scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ricky A. Pursley,

    How was I racist in this post? What exactly was foolish about it?

    While you're at it, would you like to explain which of the ideas in my "Save the Raptor" post were, in your words, "bat-shit crazy?" You have yet to respond to that one.

    Black Berry,

    Exactly right. Hope to see you around here again :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black Berry: Read her post again. She is not questioning either Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton; she is questioning "the Sharptons and Jacksons of the world". To suggest that America is free of racism because we managed, against all odds, to elect a black man President, is as foolish a conclusion as one could obtain.

    Christina: If you cannot see the craziness in your earlier post, much less in this one, no amount of my explaining it will make a whit of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ricky A. Pursley,

    I didn't say America was free of racism. I was questioning what the people who make their living off carping about how blacks can't get to the top are going to do now that a black guy is in the highest office in the land.

    And I'll ask you again: Please point out one, just one, of my ideas that is foolish and crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. America is not free of racism. It never will be, unfortunately, and yes- Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have lined their pockets for years by pointing out racial inequality.

    Of course, the people who make their money by carping about how the darkies are getting too big for their bitches and taking all the good jobs are secretly leaping with glee over Obama's presidency, in that it provides fodder for them to feed to their brother-fucking red-necked constituency.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the title of this post I thought it was about Republicans and bankers. You know the people who are using the bail-out money to campaign against Unions. They feel it wasn't their greed and incompetence that lead to the financial meltdown, It was workers who wanted a written grievance procedure. They are merely victims of these heartless grievance procedure wanting fiends.
    Or the Republicans that campaign that Christians are victims to those evil Atheists who have tin-foil penetrating mind-ray satellites that prevent children from praying in schools.
    You can see how when you said "professional victims" I would think of them since they make a lot more money crying "victim" than Jesse or Al do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure as hell thought the cavalry would never get here; felt like Custer for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm giving you one more chance, Ricky: Pick one of my ideas and explain to me why it is foolish. I'll gladly have a discussion with you about it, but I'm afraid I can't do that if you won't give me someplace to start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, if only you really meant it when you said "one more chance". Sadly, I know that there will be many others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No more chances on this post. However, with each post my mercies are new.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oddly when I pick one part of one of your posts, you don't discuss it.

    ReplyDelete