4/11/09

Texting from the Cross: “My God, my God, why hast Thou not twittered me…?!”

reaper-man-pb

(I love the smell of twitters in the morning…)

First, you do know the definition of ‘twit’, I trust? This from the Merriam-Webster’s Online Dictionary:

Twit

Pronunciation: \ˈtwit\
Function: noun

1 : an act of twitting
2 : a silly annoying person

Right, onwards and upwards – or downwards, really…

Yesterday, I spent some time reading the Neil Gaiman blog and there, thanks to a reader’s question, I got reacquainted with this lovely Terry Pratchett quote. It’s from one of his Discworld novels, Reaper Man:

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

I was reminded of that one when I read the following article. Simply replace ‘light’ with ‘progress’ and ‘darkness’ with ’some moron’ and you get close enough to what I feel about this story to see the nails being driven in with the naked eye:

“Wall Street’s historic Trinity Church, in the heart of New York’s financial district, has used the micro-blogging service Twitter to narrate the story of Jesus Christ in bursts of 140 or less characters.

For several hours during the afternoon, the main characters “tweeted” the Passion play on the Episcopalian church’s website and sent the updates to registered users on their mobile devices or via email.”

Nice one.

So, now, apart from Matthew, John, Luke and Thingie, we have the Gospel according to Twit.

I trust the next development will be an annotated new Bible, with lots of crucified LOL-cats and entries like the following:

“And then Jesus goes: OMG!!!!!! LOL, LOL, LOL!!! I CAN SEE MY HOUSE FROM HERE!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!”

Mind you, it would probably count as an honest-to-God miracle: Texting while crucified – but one I can do without, really.


(”Well, it may be Twitter or it may be the Lord but you’re gonna have to serve somebody…”)

No comments:

Post a Comment