5/5/09

News Roundup for 5/5/09

One of the photos in question
Just another martyred Christian


-Headline of the day-
"Nailed by racy photos, anti-gay beauty queen says she’s being mocked for 'faith'."

Opposite-marriage advocate Carrie Prejean is being mocked for baring her breasts for a photoshoot, but she's claiming the whole thing's just an attack on her faith.

"I can assure you, they were quite inappropriate and certainly not photos befitting a beauty queen," said KVBC's Alicia Jacobs reports. "After first claiming that the pics were taken when she was 17, overnight Prejean put out a statement saying, 'I am a Christian and I am a model. Models pose for pictures, including lingerie and swimwear photos. Recently photos taken of me as a teenager have been released surreptitiously to a... website that openly mocks me for my Christian faith. I am not perfect, nor do I claim to be.'"

If these were taken when she was 17, wouldn't that make the photos a crime scene? So, in addition to big fake boobs, we can add underage cheescake shots to that everchanging list of "family values." I can't say I approve of this faith of hers.

Others are likely to agree. Apparently, there are experts on how the religious right responds to topless underage beauty queens. Surprisingly, they seem to believe that the wingnuts are going to be against it. According to the report, "one expert" told NBC’s Miguel Almagare, "She can continue to advocate for causes, but I don’t think these causes are going to be advocating for her."

What are the chances that this story's not going to get any interest? Well, when I checked the website that released them -- TheDirty.com -- the server was so swamped I couldn't get the page to load (hey, it was legit journalistic research). I'm guessing that means this is getting a lot of attention.

Looks like Joe the Plumber might be back as the religious right's favorite brainless pseudo-celebrity. Try to be excited about it. (Raw Story)


-Speaking of Joe the Plumber...-
...turns out he's a real prick.

In an interview with Christianity Today, Samuel "Joe the Plumber" Wurzelbinky was asked, "In the last month, same-sex marriage has become legal in Iowa and Vermont. What do you think about same-sex marriage at a state level?" In response, Wurzelskippy took the opportunity to hate on gays -- while denying he hates gays.

"At a state level, it's up to them. I don't want it to be a federal thing," he said. "I personally still think it's wrong. People don't understand the dictionary -- it's called queer. Queer means strange and unusual. It's not like a slur, like you would call a white person a honky or something like that. You know, God is pretty explicit in what we're supposed to do -- what man and woman are for. Now, at the same time, we're supposed to love everybody and accept people, and preach against the sins. I've had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children. But at the same time, they're people, and they're going to do their thing."

I'll tell you what's "strange and unusual" -- having friends that are such massive perverts that you won't allow them anywhere near your kids. By his own definition, Plumb the Wurzeljoe is queer. And "God is pretty explicit in what we're supposed to do -- what man and woman are for?" Dude, that's not the Bible you're reading, that's Penthouse Forum.

What is it with these guys that they always have to claim to have gay friends? I doubt that anyone who believed what Sammie the Bigot said here has ever even met someone who's gay.

Welcome to the Republican base, where being both a liar and stupid are considered signs of good character.

I don't think I approve of Wurzelhitzer's faith, either. (Christianity Today)


-Tell us what you really think-
Kentucky Republican Sen. Jim Bunning isn't happy with Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell's leadership. If you doubt that, just ask him -- which is exactly what the Louisville Courier-Journal did. He gave them an earful.

"Do you realize that under our dynamic leadership of our leader, we have gone from 55 and probably to 40 (Senate seats) in two election cycles," he said, "and if the tea leaves that I read are correct, we will wind up with about 36 after this election cycle. So if leadership means anything, it means you don't lose... approximately 19 seats in three election cycles with good leadership."

He makes a compelling argument. I'm willing to be convinced that Chinless Mitch McConnell isn't very good at this whole leadership thing. Of course, there's this whole new rebranding effort by the GOP. So that might help a bit.

At least, so long as McConnell doesn't have anything to do with it. Man, if the rebranders had to do something crazy like report back to Mitch, the whole thing might turn out to be a big disaster for Republicans.

And, really, no one wants to see that. (Political Wire)

No comments:

Post a Comment